Cajun Fried Vegan Fish Sandwich
Clearly, I have been in a "seafood" type of mood because here is yet another seafood inspired recipe. I have made fried fish with banana blossoms several times and they are pretty easy and always come out so good. If you know me, you know I love bread, so I made this a sandwich on a toasted baguette. This vegan fried fish sandwich really hits the spot with the crunchiness of the baguette, vegan fish, seasonings, spices, lettuce, tomatoes and topped with a Cajun tartar sauce!
WHAT DO BANANA BLOSSOMS TASTE LIKE?
Banana blossoms have a very neutral taste and they will take on the flavor profile that they are seasoned with. The texture is very similar to artichoke hearts.
WHERE DO I FIND CANNED BANANA BLOSSOMS?
I get canned banana blossoms from my local Asian / Filipino market and usually it is the Chaokoh Banana Blossom brand. Here is a different brand carried on Amazon.
KITCHEN ITEMS YOU’LL NEED:
Mixing bowl for corn meal coating
Mixing bowl for flour coating
Latex/kitchen loves if you don't want messy hands
Container or dish to place fried fish in
STORAGE AND REHEAT OF FRIED BANANA BLOSSOMS "FISH"
Your fried fish will last about 4 days in the refrigerator placed in an air tight container. I have never frozen fried banana blossoms and would not recommend it.
I like to reheat my banana blossoms "fish" in the air fryer on 325 for about 6 minutes. If you do not have an air fryer, you can use the air fryer setting on your oven and/or toaster oven if you have that.
You can also reheat in the oven on 325 degrees for about 6 minutes.
I do not recommend reheating your fried banana blossoms in the microwave if you prefer to keep the texture crunchy.
THE VEGAN-FRIENDLY (AND GLUTEN FREE) BAGUETTE
I love to throw the vegan fried banana blossoms fish filets between some crunchy bread! Although the Louisiana brand coating I used is not gluten-free, I did choose to use the Schär gluten free baguettes. I find these at Jewel and Mariano's, but you can always check the brand's online store locator or Google them 'near me'.
If you could not care less if the baguette was vegan/gluten-free, use whichever type of bread/baguette you like to make this tantalizing banana blossom fried fish sandwich!
HOW TO MAKE VEGAN FRIED FISH
Fried banana blossoms fish can be made in several ways. You can fry banana blossoms with corn meal, seasonings and flour. You can also use just corn meal. You can also do a wet batter and dry batter. I've fried banana blossoms a few ways and they have always come out so yummy. This particular way came out very yummy and I really enjoyed the seasonings/spices.
I used one 10 oz. package of Louisiana Spicy Cajun Fish Fry as my cornmeal batter and it is vegan-friendly. The other fish fry variety from this brand, their Seasoned Fish Fry (not spicy), is also vegan-friendly.
If you prefer this recipe without the spice, simply remove the red pepper seasoning and hot sauce from the spicy Cajun tartar sauce.
Also, you can put your seasonings in your flour if you prefer. I just added them to my cornmeal batter.
Servings: This recipe yields 4-5 servings or about 12 pieces of banana blossoms fish.
2 cans of Banana Blossoms (I used Chaokoh Banana Blossom In Brine 18oz, 9oz w/out brine)
Oil for frying, I used grapeseed oil
1 Package (10 oz) of Louisiana Cajun Fish Fry Seafood Breading Mix (can substitute with cornmeal)
2 cups of flour (all purpose or chickpea flour)
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons of pickle juice (can sub for same amount of dried dill seasoning)
2 teaspoons of Old Bay seasoning
2 teaspoons of Cajun Seasoning
1 tablespoon of garlic powder
1 tablespoon of onion powder
a few pinches of ground cayenne or red pepper seasoning (optional and only if you like your food spicy)
Your choice of vegan baguette
Vegan butter for baguette
Vegan cheese for baguette (I divided one slice in 1/2 and placed both along one side of baguette)
Cajun tartar sauce, lettuce and tomatoes for toppings
Cajun Tartar Sauce:
1 part vegan mayo (you can also sub for vegan ranch)
1 part dill relish
a few pinches of Cajun seasoning
a few pinches of onion powder or fresh yellow onion, minced
a shake or two of hot sauce (optional and only if you like your food spicy)
- Rinse, drain and gently pat dry banana blossoms
- Place fish fry breading (or cornmeal), seasonings, lemon juice, dill pickle juice into one bowl and flour into another
- Add banana blossoms to cornmeal mix and gently hand toss
- Find the whole pieces of banana blossoms and gently squeeze them, ensuring corn meal coating is covering each piece, then transfer them individually to the flour bowl
-Fully coat/dredge and squeeze each piece of banana blossom with the flour coating individually; this may take about a minute per piece (be patient with this messy process). Don't skip the step to squeeze the banana blossoms with the flour coating; it is important in forming the filets and help them fry better.
- Once all of the whole banana blossoms are coated and set aside, begin merging the loose pieces of banana blossoms together, forming a "filet"
- Once all of your filets are formed, dispose of the gloves/wash hands
- Add high heat cooking oil to skillet and turn stove on low to medium heat. If you are making a baguette/toasting bread, pre-heat your oven/toaster oven/air fryer to 325 degrees.
- Once oil is hot/ready, use tongs to individually add filets to skillet
- Fry banana blossoms on both sides for about 3-4 minutes each/until golden brown
- Transfer banana blossoms from oil with tongs carefully to a plate/dish with paper towels to absorb excess oil
- Slice your baguette down the middle; add cheese slice on one side and vegan butter on the other.
- Toast baguette until cheese is melted and bread is lightly browned/toasted (should be about 3-4 minutes)
- Dress your baguette and enjoy!
Ideas for sides:
Red beans and rice
Did you make this fried fish with banana blossoms recipe? Don’t keep it to yourself! I wanna know! Tag me on social (all of my platforms are along the top right of my site).