Thanksgiving is in a few short days and for all the other last minute folks out there, I had to share my quick and easy vegan mac & cheese recipe! If you're cooking for a large group, just double (or triple the ingredients). I made a batch gluten free, but if you're cooking for a large group, I suggest using regular macaroni (unless someone suffers from Celiac disease) because its more goof-proof and gluten free pastas tend to be a bit firmer. Here you go and enjoy!
3 Cheese Vegan Mac & Cheese
8 oz of macaroni
1 tablespoon of flour
3/4 cup unsweetened plant-based milk
2 tbsp of vegan butter, 1 tablespoon for cooked macaroni
2 tablespoons of vegan cream cheese
2-3 slices of creamy Original Chao slices or a vegan smoked gouda
8 oz bag of vegan cheese shreds, about 2/3 cup to side for topping
Optional Seasonings for cheese sauce:
A few shakes of smoked paprika, garlic powder, and Old Bay Seasoning
-Preheat the oven to 375 degrees
-Boil water and once boiling, put in macaroni over medium heat
-While macaroni is cooking, put butter and flour in a medium saucepan and stir over medium heat. Add milk.
- Allow mixture to thicken (about 1-2 min)
- Add cream cheese (and seasonings if using) and continue to stir.
- Add all cheese except the 1 cup (to be used as macaroni topping in the oven) and stir. If needed, add a bit more milk.
- Stir macaroni.
- Once macaroni is done (about 10-12 minutes), drain and transfer macaroni into oven safe dish.
- Mix remaining 1 tablespoon of butter into macaroni, then pour the sauce over pasta.
-Mix sauce into macaroni then sprinkle remaining shredded cheese over macaroni.
- Bake on 375 for 10-12 minutes then broil for 1-2 minutes on high if you prefer your macaroni crunchier/browned on top.